Norfolk Collegiate Students Walk Out Together

Photos and Voices from the 17 Minutes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clare Harbin, a junior, is one of the leaders of Norfolk Collegiate's walk out. For every minute passed, she shouted the name and age of one of the seventeen victims murdered in the Stoneman Douglas school shooting on February 14, 2018.

Clare Harbin, a junior, is one of the leaders of Norfolk Collegiate's walk out. For every minute passed, she shouted the name and age of one of the seventeen victims murdered in the Stoneman Douglas school shooting on February 14, 2018. "This is the new generation," she shouted. "We have to call for reform now. We have to call for the end of violence."

Gabby Allen

Gabby Allen

Gabby Allen

Gabby Allen, Managing Editor

Gabby Allen
Clare Harbin, a junior, is one of the student leaders of Norfolk Collegiate’s walk out which took place today, March 14, at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes. For every minute that passed, she shouted the name and age of one of the seventeen victims murdered in the Stoneman Douglas school shooting a month ago on February 14, 2018. For every name called, an array of nearly 100 Collegiate students responded with “Say his/her name!” “This is the new generation,” Harbin shouted. “We have to call for reform now. We have to call for the end of violence.”

Gathered in a circle on the turf fields, students stand together in solidarity in honor of the recent Stoneman Douglas school shooting. Every student had a different reason for walking out of class for 17 minutes, whether it be to honor the 17 lives lost at Stoneman Douglas, to act out against gun violence, or as a movement to share their voices. “Our students identified today as an opportunity for young people across the country to exhibit civic responsibility and positive citizenship,” stated Norfolk Collegiate in a tweet earlier today.

Gabby Allen
Though Norfolk Collegiate was willing to cooperate with students in their walk out, it was not without a few exceptions. According to Clare Harbin, a junior, the walk out “needed to be in the field, it had to be peaceful, [and] all signs needed to be approved by [Mrs. Claywell, head of the upper school].”