The Oak Leaf

Head of school search begins in middle and upper schools

A nation-wide search for qualified candidates to acquire two head of school position vacancies is underway. With last year’s departure of Dr. McCormick, the former head of middle and the upper school, two vital positions were left open. They are temporarily being filled by Mrs. Bryant and Mrs. Claywell.

The school has created two search committees for both middle and upper schools with Mrs. Judy Davis in charge of the upper school, and Mrs. Charlene Loope in charge of the middle school research.

“We generated a job advertisement and advertised on many websites to get candidates,” said Mr. Kennedy.

The candidates submitted their paperwork and resume by November 11th, soon the committee will call the applicants to interview, then decide which one will advance into the hiring process.

It is important for a potential candidate to not only believe in our school’s mission, but to also have previous experience.

“I think [finding a qualified head of school] is a not a challenge, [however, it] is a great opportunity,” said Mr. Kennedy, “We also have an institutional plan [for our school].”

The head of school’s main responsibilities are supervising the curriculum program, and making sure the division runs well.

Mrs. Bryant, who is one of the applicants for the position of head of the middle school, hopes “to see someone…who is willing to put themselves out there” to fill the upper or middle school positions. She also believes that a potential applicant would be one willing to “help kids work from where they are today to be a little bit better tomorrow.”

The entirety of the selection process will be complete by approximately January 2017.